Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Red Herring

I'm so confused. [just a warning that some of this is icky fluids stuff, so may be TMI for some people].

So, I was all good and ready to come home from Texas and start this third IUI, which was probably going to be this week. I started OPKs on Saturday in Texas and was happy that there were no positives when I was traveling, so was happy I hadn't missed it. We got back Sunday night - negative. I tested yesterday morning (CD13) and it was negative. Considering my first IUI was on day 13, I decided to test again that evening, just to be sure. When I went to the washroom to test, I looked down at an underwear full of blood. 

It looked like period blood. A lot of it. I often get periods that come out of nowhere, so it wasn't really that surprising... except for the fact that I had just finished my last period 6 days prior.

I called the clinic first thing in the morning and asked for an appointment with my new RE. There was a cancellation today but if I couldn't make it today, I couldn't see him til the end of November. I went today.

Firstly, the doc is great. An old Englishman, who is really straight up, honest and nice. He has a resident tagging along who is 8 months pregnant. Kind of cool to see in that environment, but I'm sure a lot of patients might have a hard time with it.

RE thinks it's pre-ovulatory bleeding, though says that the blood should be lighter than it is (in both colour and weight). This is a natural cycle, so it's come out of nowhere and I've never had anything like this before. Well, actually about 4 years ago, I bled for 28 days straight, but other than that, my cycles have been crazy normal. The timing just seems a little weird.

Most of what I can find on Dr. Google is very light spotting during pre-ovulation. This is definitely not light and I'm hemorrhaging a bit too. No pain so far, and no other symptoms of anything else being "wrong," but I guess I've just never heard of this, so I'm kind of freaking out a bit.

I managed to get to a lab and had a blood test this afternoon and the results should be in by Friday at the latest. From what I understand, they will be able to tell by my estrogen levels. If this is a one-off thing, no need to worry, but if it happens again, it's not so good.

So, this cycle is out. No IUI, which sucks, but I'd obviously like to feel healthy and good going into it.

Through some talking today with the RE, I now have a prescription for Clomid, which we have decided to add next cycle to up our chances. After reading a lot of your comments, it feels right.

I'm trying to shift my attention to next month and welcome the "break" as much as I can. It's just funny that when I'm finally at a place where I need good, normal cycles, weird things happen. I'd also like to stop bleeding anytime soon too...

Anyone else experienced something similar?

5 comments:

  1. Can't help you but glad you checked in. I was beginning to wonder what happened to cycle 3. I hope they figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Detailed post, might be TMI for some)

    I had my first IUI on Sept. 8. Normal TWW, BFN, both at home and at the doctor's office.

    Usually, I am quite regular and normal -- 28-30 day cycle, surge around day 14, mild ovulation pain most months, 5-6 day AF.

    After that first IUI, my cycle went crazy. On day 28 I got what I would describe as "heavy spotting." Normally I get this for a day or two before my period starts. But this lasted for five days and stopped, so I thought it was my period. But three days later, light bleeding for 3 - 4 days. What? Okay, maybe this is my period. But then, two days later, full fledged, heavier than usual AF. So, depending which time you count as the start of my new cycle. I am now on either day 36, 29, or 23 of my cycle. WTF? I did OPKs for about two weeks based on the second bleeding time, with no positives.

    Based on ultrasound and trigger shot, I had IUI #2 yesterday. Nurse was very confident and not concerned, but the whole thing has weirded me out, since I've not had this type of cycle since I was in junior high.

    Anyway, this isn't quite similar, but your post prompted me to share, and I'm in a TMI mood this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How disconcerting. I agree that TTC can totally f*ck with your system, but that doesn't make it any less worrisome. I know of someone else that had this exact type of bleeding as well, much too close it seemed to her last period. She is also still looking for answers, but at least you're not alone. I'm glad you got labs done. I hope you get it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys... I'm really looking forward to the results. Bleeding is now heavier :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to read about this added stress :( Keep taking care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete