Thursday, May 31, 2012

Meet the blob

We got to meet our baby yesterday. Despite being really cramped in a tiny room and being in extreme pain with a really overfull bladder (I was scared that if I wasn't really, really full, I wouldn't be able to see anything!), I was allowed to pee out half of it and then Devon, me and the tech got comfy enough to enjoy the experience.

And oh, what an experience. I didn't realize how much I needed this proof that I was actually pregnant... that I'm actually going to be a mom in a mere 7-ish months. It was glorious. And it was even more glorious to see Devon's reactions and have her experience this with me. Actually, she saw more things than I did, because I was in an awkward position and the tech kept telling me to relax my stomach muscles (I kept lifting my head up to look at the screen).

Seeing the yolk sac and the little alien blob inside it was indescribable. It was very hard to see, but we did see the little heartbeat with a bit of shifting. And then without warning, we heard, "boomboom, boomboom, boomboom" and the tech said, "that's your baby's heartbeat. We had no idea we'd be able to hear it so early. I immediately starting crying and Devon covered her mouth in (wonderful) shock.

I had an initial scare when the tech said the baby was measuring 6w5days - about 4 days behind. Then he changed to "around 7 weeks" and then when he printed out the photo, it said 7wks1day (a day behind?). Due date changed one day later to January 15.

Baby looks good. Yolk sack looks good. Heartbeat was around 150.

We are thrilled. It made everything real... and just gave me hope that if I haven't lost him/her yet, I won't at all. Not like I have a ton of control over that, but every day it gets easier to believe that this is it. That I'm finally going to be a mama.

I haven't introduced a fetus blog name, but we've had a name for this little guy for months pre-conception.  It's a long story, but every time we drove to the clinic for an IUI, we would crank Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" at full blast and dance and sing "Gotta get dat Boom Boom Boom". Baby's name is BoomBoom. Hearing the heartbeat yesterday makes it feel so much more right, and I think I'm coming away from my fear a little bit and wanting to share it with you. (And yes, if it was twins, it was going to be BoomBoom and Pow).

Without further ado, please meet our teeniest, tiniest BoomBoom.




16 comments:

  1. Awwww!!!!! BoomBoom is too cute :) My due date is January 14th, but we don't get an ultrasound for another two weeks. It's driving me crazy! I know I'll feel a lot better when I can see it and hear the heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fabulous. With a heartbeat of 150, I am going with an early prediction of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name and the pic :). Very exciting!! Can't wait to hear how BoomBoom lives up to his/her name throughout your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous blob you have there :) And a cute story behind the nickname. Hearing the heartbeat never got old for me, it is such an amazing sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful! Contratulations and yes what a gorgeous blob! I had a few tears welling up whilst reading this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Glad everything looked okay. I had an ultrasound this week (10w) when I went back to my regular OBGYN and the baby moved when she pushed on my belly. It was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lady you had me going nuts. i'm over here like, why hasn't she posted yet?! so glad everything is good with you. can you tell im excited to be due date buddies? yay for boom boom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! So beautiful. Hi BoomBoom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hearing your baby's heartbeat is the best sound ever! Congrats again ladies! Wives tale about heartrate says you need to pick a girls name out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's just the loveliest little blob ever--and love the name! What a wonderful thing it is to hear that hearbeat for the first time. It never gets old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. (very very late here, but...) i just had to say congrats on the beautiful scan! boomboom is just gorgeous! isn't hearing the heartbeat just the most unreal, amazing thing ever??

    and ps. wow! that is a full bladder! i can't imagine how big it was *before* you peed, no wonder you were in pain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm almost 5 weeks now and I downloaded this cute app that tells you how big your baby is according to how far along you are, and right now it's saying that the baby is the size of a mustard seed. So I started refering to him/her as Mustard hehe.
    I'm so excited cannot wait to have my first scan.

    ReplyDelete