Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cabin fever and calm

I thought maybe my 200th post would be a bit more newsworthy than this one, but no - I've just been lying on a couch for three days straight with a really bad cold, complete with a fever and chills. I'm feeling a little better today, but I think it's just moving from my sinuses back into my chest, where it seems all my colds end up. Damn that whole smoking for 10 years thing. I thought your lungs regenerated after being smoke-free after several years, but alas mine seem to continue to be weak.

I'm getting a little bit of cabin fever and probably should leave the house at some point. If I can't get out when it's 28 degrees celcius (~82 F) and not feeling great, I can imagine getting my ass out the door in January with a newborn when it's below zero is going to be tough. But I keep reading blogs about the necessity of leaving the house at least once a day when the baby comes, and I'm going to make that my goal, knowing full well that there will be days when it's just not going to be possible.

We saw our midwife on Thursday for our 20 week appointment to check on BoomBoom and everything looked good. Heartbeat was back up at 160 bpm and I was amazed that the midwife knew exactly where to put the doppler on the first go. She said she can feel where the baby is now, which I find quite incredible. She said that next time we go, she'll teach us how to find the baby's back, and if Devon lies with her ear right above the heart, she'll be able to hear the baby's heartbeat through my skin. That's pretty cool.

I've managed to keep this sense of calm since the ultrasound, which I'm honestly quite surprised about and am pretty proud of myself for allowing myself to feel that everything is going exactly how it should. My doppler, which I bought on a whim, is on it's way here and I don't think I'm going to even open the box. I'll probably keep it until the birth, in case I'm in a moment of panic and need to find a heartbeat, but I'd rather not expose BoomBoom to the radiation if I can help it (I know it's generally safe, but it's more principal). I'll sell it on Craigslist in the new year.

Whenever I feel like I'm being a crazy lady with things like this, I go on the pregnancy boards/forum and read posts by people even crazier than I am and it makes me feel normal.

Recent highlights include:
  • Is it safe to eat warm meals when I'm pregnant?
  • HELP! I just ate honey! Am I going to miscarry???
  • I know I'm only 4 weeks pregnant, but I haven't felt the baby kick. Is it dead?
  • I heard that swallowing your husband's sperm when you're pregnant may cause a reaction for the fetus. Should I spit?
At least I'm not that crazy... 

5 comments:

  1. Being sick is the worst! I hope you feel better soon. I just got caught up on things over here, congrats on a girl! I’m so excited for you guys! I can’t believe you are already half way there, it seems like just yesterday you were getting a positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy... wow. I can imagine how they'll be when the babies are born! Little Johnny won't be allowed to leave his sterile bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so funny Lex. So glad all is going as planned. Feel better soon. Yes, outside air is great for a baby. When my grandkids lived in Chicago their doctor said to open the windows in their rooms for an hour a day and it will help kill germs. My DIL did it when the kids weren't in the room and it seemed to be true for them. Once you get all the equipment going outside will be fun. I know my DIL had this winter bunting that she put on the kids over their lightweight clothes and then put them in the car seat or stroller and away she went with the twins.Such fun ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're over your cold soon.
    I've been fairly healthy so far, but am concerned with being due in the winter that I'll get really sick right before delivering. (It happened to both my wife and my sister. Ugh.)
    Glad to hear you've been able to keep your anxiety at bay. We definitely had a lot more concerns with The Bean's pregnancy than we do this one. I think that it's pretty common for first time parents to worry. Sounds like everything in going well though! Hopefully the next few months fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw one once that said "if I listen to rap music through my headphones can the baby hear it? I am concerned about the swearing." HA

    ReplyDelete