Monday, October 8, 2012

Double digits

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving, and I have so much to be thankful for this year. Mostly, I'm appreciative of maternity clothes that stretch for you during holiday dinners so you don't have to slow down to unbutton your pants in order to fit more food in. Oh, and I'm pretty thankful for the whole baby thing too :)

This weekend, we passed the 100-days-til-she's-due mark and we're solidly in double digits and this week marks the last week of my second trimester. Scary... and wonderful. There is still a ton of things to do, but we're getting there, slowly. 

I did my fasting blood glucose test on Saturday morning for Gestational Diabetes, which was fine except for by the third blood draw, I was so dehydrated that my veins kept collapsing and they couldn't get any more blood from me. I had also not stopped bleeding from the draw an hour prior. They eventually went through the top of my hand, after several attempts in both arms. The drink was gross, but not as bad as I expected. Reminded me of cold winter mornings on the soccer field when I was a kid, drinking tangy orange at halftime. 

I also had my iron levels tested. I just got my results back for both tests. I passed my Gestational Diabetes test, but my ferritin, hemocrit, hemoglobin and red blood cell count was very low and I'm considered anemic. I think I finally have an answer to why I've been so incredibly low in energy over the last few months. I wish they'd tested me earlier, as now I'm coming out of the second trimester and will soon have low energy again anyway, so even if I treat it now, I feel like I can't get the last three months back... which was supposed to be my "honeymoon trimester". Oh well, at least I know and will get treated accordingly. Bought some iron supplements today, so we'll see if things get better. I take comfort in the fact that regardless of what's getting to me, BoomBoom has been sucking up everything she needs. Midwife says my light-headedness could be attributed to low iron to.

I brought up the fluid leaking thing and mentioned how sporadic and inconsistent it's been. She asked if I wanted to do an internal exam, or whether I just wanted to wait to see if it would happen again, and I chose the latter. I'm not super concerned about it, but if it does happen again, I'll page her. She mentioned that it could be amniotic fluid, but they could find out fairly quickly. It hasn't happened in weeks, so I'm sure it's fine.

I'm becoming more and more anxious about the actual birth, as I feel it's getting closer. We watched The Business of Being Born on Saturday, which was awesome, but brought up a lot of "what if I'm not strong enough to make it through". Granted, the film is about the American system, so a lot of the politics don't apply to Canada (though in my province, we do have the highest rate of cesareans nation-wide). Midwives are allowed to deliver in hospitals here, and it seemed like - at least in the film - that that wasn't the case in the US (or at least NY), so going with a midwife doesn't always equal a home birth. I take comfort in the fact we will be close to medical intervention if needed, though I hope we don't need to go that way.

Devon is getting a bit anxious too. She hasn't yet thought about the specifics, but feels as though it's time. I think she's always had it in her head that I'll give birth like they do on TV, so when it was brought up that giving birth on your back is potentially the worst position ever, she was taken aback at the fact that I could be standing holding on to her, or squatting or whatever... I think it's just weird for us now that we're trying to picture how it's going to be or how we want it to be. 

Prenatal classes start this week, which I think will help with that kind of stuff. I'm pretty excited and am looking forward to meeting new people in our neighbourhood. I imagine we'll be the only same-sex couple, which is always a challenge, but it is what it is. 

Oh, and I *think* we picked a name, though I thought we did a month or two ago too. It's less popular than our first choice, which I think we've decided against for that reason, but still relatively traditional. I like the meaning and the way it looks and sounds with my last name, and there are endless possibilities for nicknames. I never knew how much of a responsibility it was to name a human being! Both Devon and I changed our names in late teen / early adulthood, so we're extra sensitive to being given a name we don't like. No pressure or anything. 


5 comments:

  1. Fabulous news all around Lex. So happy you are moving into your third trimester with all the usual concerns and questions but well and happy. It won't be long now until boom boom is here. Have the confirmed the sex?

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you get to skip the diabetes stuff! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are going really well! Sorry to hear about the low iron. Hopefully the supplement you got will be fairly gentle on your system.

    I agree that names are tricky. I think we're coming close, but the whole popularity thing has us a little concerned...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That stinks about your anemia! My iron levels are great, but my glucose level was a little high (by a couple points) so I have to go for another round of tests next week (boo).

    Can't wait to hear what you name little Boom Boom! We have a list of names, but we're just kinda waiting to meet her and see what she looks like first :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think the drink was too bad, either.

    There are midwives in hospitals in the US - that's the route we took and I found it - for me - to be the best of both worlds. I was all ready to comment "take a class" and am glad to see you are because, yes, it probably will answer some of those birthing questions. Rest assured that it's pretty likely that when the time comes, you will naturally figure out what works for you (and it might even be laying in a bed, but maybe not). For me, when those contractions got hard, it was pretty damn clear to me and everyone in the room what positions were helpful and what was just. not. going. to. happen. I did find that some of the positions we had practiced in class were definite go-tos (my favorite was a supported squat with my arms around C's shoulders while she faced me).

    You are right about possibly being the only same-sex couple -- it was interesting and funny for us, watching the instructor go to make her usual "funny" heterosexual jokes and then trying to adjust.

    And yay for a name!!

    ReplyDelete